The Department of the Jail is a Florida Corrections Accreditation Commission accredited facility, their third Excelsior award received in October 2020. It is comprised of the Security Operations Division, Support Services Division and Administration and Special Projects. It is commanded by Major Robert Stafford.
On January 18, 1998, the Department of the Jail became a reality when the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners, through an Interlocal Agreement, transferred the responsibility for the county jail to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.
The Department of the Jail is a 1,148 bed, 314,000 square foot facility, designed to incarcerate adult male and female offenders for up to one year. The core facility was completed in January 1994, and following upgrades in 2007 and 2009, the optimum number of inmates housed is 975.
Department of the Jail Contact Numbers
- Department of the Jail – (352) 491-4444
- Medical Services – (352) 491-4448
- Support Services Division – (352) 491-4560
- Security Operations Division – (352) 491-4509
- Booking Support Bureau – (352) 491-4449 or (352) 491-4459
- Transportation and Facilities Bureau – (352) 491-4517
- Inmate Support Bureau – (352) 491-4475
- Classification Unit – (352) 491-4447
- Inmate Trust Fund Coordinator – (352) 491-4461
- Trinity Commissary – (352) 491-4524
Contract Monitoring for Medical Services
Medical and Mental Health Services are provided under contract and monitored through the Jail Director’s Office via a contract monitor. The current contract provider is Corizon Health Inc. The unit is responsible for provision of mental health services to inmates including medication management, treatment planning and crisis intervention.